A quick and delicious snack recipe, calamari rings are squid rings deep fried in tasty tempura batter and served crisp and hot alongside Thai chili sauce and parsley sprig. Today’s recipe comes with a few tips that ensure a golden, light crust and tender squid that is not rubbery or grease-heavy.
Before we begin, let’s explore what exactly calamari is.
Is calamari an octopus or perhaps a squid? Calamari is the Italian word for squid, a close cousin to octopus. Squid is white and firm with a mild, somewhat sweeter taste that loans itself to so many flavors. There are more than 350 species of squid in the world’s waters, but fewer than a dozen are used in cooking.
Pre Cooking Tip
Here is one of the most important tips for today’s calamari recipe that we will explore: properly and evenly tenderize your squid rings by properly soaking them in neat salted milk and refrigerating for around 40 minutes. This will help uniformly tenderize the calamari while eventually taming the fishy smell! It also helps the batter coating to stick to the squid’s meat.
Crispy Calamari Rings Recipe
- Recipe Servings: 3
- Prep Time: 12 mins
- Cook Time: 18 mins
- Total Cook Time: 30 mins
- Difficulty Level: Easy
- 2 cup Tempura Batter.
- 6 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Two tablespoons Thai chili sauce
- 10 ounces frozen calamari rings, drained and thawed
- salt to taste
- One lemon, quartered
- Stir tempura batter, two tsp of salt, black pepper, and paprika together in a bowl. The bowl can be a shallow one. Ensure it is clean.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Ensure it is cooked through. This usually takes around eight to nine minutes.
- Press calamari rings into the batter mixture until properly coated, shaking off excess batter.
- Next, start my favorite thing of frying calamari rings in the hot oil until golden brown. This usually takes around two to five minutes. Transfer cooked calamari to a paper towel-lined plate; sprinkle cleanly with salt. Serve calamari with parsley sprig and Thai chili sauce.
Now You Know