Stately mansions. Moss-draped oaks. Broad beaches. Spiraling mountains. And a beautiful streak as old as the state itself. South Carolina is that famous place where the accents are more intimate and the traditions dearer. From its legendary Revolutionary War patriots to its 1860s CE secessionist government to its frank legislators, the Palmetto State has never shied away from a battle.
South Caroline is a quintessentially Southern state in the USA (United States of America) filled with history, culture, scenic mountains, beautiful coastlines, and yummy cuisine.
How to get around in South Carolina?
The trails in South Carolina are in creat condition for travel. Interstate 95 in much of the southern part of the state is hugely traveled and a four-lane highway. Public transportation is not a suitable option in most of South Carolina. A car will most likely be required to get around, particularly from town to town.
15 Top Attractions in South Carolina
- Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge
- Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens in Columbia, SC
- Charleston Tea Plantation
- Charleston Waterfront Park
- Charles Pinckney National Historic Site at Mt. Pleasant
- Cowpens National Battlefield near Chesnee.
- Fort Sumter National Monument in Charleston Harbor
- The Grand Strand at Myrtle Beach
- Fort Moultrie National Monument at Sullivan’s Island
- Kings Mountain National Military Park at Blacksburg
- Falls Park on the Reedy in Downtown Greenville, SC
- Hunting Island State Park
- Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail
- Congaree National Park in Hopkins (outside of Columbia, SC)
- Ninety-Six National Historic Site in Ninety Six
Top Things to do in South Carolina
Along the East, Atlantic South Carolina are numerous popular tourist destinations.
The most well-known region is called The Grand Strand and consists of 60 miles of beachfront homes. The Strand goes south from the South and North Carolina border through the towns of Atlantic Beach, Little River, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, Garden City (in Horry County), and Surfside Beach down Highway. 17 south through Georgetown County, including Litchfield, Murrells Inlet, and Pawleys Island. The Grand Strand is known for family entertainment options and great yet not so costly beach accommodations.
Little River is known for its beautiful inlet, great for water sports and fishing. Myrtle Beach’s claim to fame is not only its beaches but its nickname “Golf Capital of the World.” Murrells Inlet presents some of the best seafood around. Pawleys Island offers historic plantation sites and great golf.
South Carolina is known for its barbeque and soul food. Most of the barbeque in South Carolina is comparable to Eastern Carolina-style, with mustard-based sauces on chicken or pulled pork. South Carolina is the only place that boasts four distinct styles of sauces: tomato, vinegar, and mustard.