Boredom is a familiar feeling. Feeling uninterested in an activity or detached can lead to boredom. Boredom may occur when you feel dynamic but have nowhere to focus your energy. It may also happen when you have difficulty concentrating on a task.
Boredom is an empty feeling that brings a sense of frustration and emptiness. When you’re bored, you may lack interest and a limited attention span in what’s happening around you. You may feel numb, exhausted, jittery, or nervous.
In this pandemic, almost half the people I’ve spoken to are feeling numb, jittery, exhausted, and nervous. The sense of directionlessness and monotonous life cycle has fatigued many clueless minds. Sadly, things don’t end there.
One of the top reasons why people take the wrong steps in life is boredom. Boredom is ever-present, even in our busy world, and it’s an innocuous but devastating force. It not only happens when there’s little or nothing to do, but it also happens when we’re relatively disinterested in what’s on offer.
Boredom can be connected to many of society’s ills, including anxiety, hopelessness, hopelessness, and is often the precursor to drug experimentation and use, and other addictions, including drinking, smoking, and cheating.
As per observation, here is what I found:
- Young, bored people are overdoing OTT. They’re spending countless hours on online streaming platforms.
- People are buying cigarettes and spending their time smoking all day.
- The eagerness to work hard has reduced.
- The addiction to mobile games is back.
- Boredom has lead to increased social media trolling. People are trying to find flaws in everything; perhaps this kills boredom, according to them.
- Boredom has attracted a lot of people to gambling. Gambling addiction due to boredom is coming out in the form of intraday crypto investments.
I am not a Psychologist, and the points mentioned above are my observation.
We’ll do anything to dodge boredom, even do things that we don’t enjoy so that we don’t have to penetrate into it. At some levels, we’re scared of it. It’s like we’ll have to face our real fears or our real selves if we get bored. This is why we eat, smoke, play mobile games, troll people online, or watch TV series when we’re bored — we do it for comfort and to move away from the discomfort of ourselves and our boredom and lack of things to do.
The primary solution to boredom is to avoid overdoing anything. You must not find comfort in addictions. If you are stuck there, now is the time to get out of a routined addiction. Here are a few other steps you can take to avoid boredom without finding shelter in addictions. I don’t want to explore the ‘things you can do to avoid boredom, but I will instead explore the thoughts you should avoid to escape boredom.
- Stop giving excuses: Gyms are closed, and so, a few people are not spending time working out or focusing on their health. Your physical health is a gateway to your mental wellbeing. So, lockdowns and closed gyms should not be an excuse for you. Home workout is a gamechanger. It saves time. There’s no commuting or waiting for equipment or machines. Work out anytime. You can exercise on your own plan, no matter the time of night or day. Plus, if you are an Indian, thank your history. You are blessed with access to ‘Yoga.’ Do it without excuses. Around 30 minutes per day is enough.
- Don’t replace real-life with digital life: Scrolling your social media feeds is an addiction that is destructive and largely a waste of time and patience. Don’t submit yourself to beautiful pictures you see on social media. Limit your social media time. Use the remaining time to explore your backyard, your terrace, or your balcony. It really doesn’t matter whether you have a garden or an apartment with a small window, now is the best time of year to start planting some seeds and watch herbs, flowers or vegetables grow other the coming months. Growing something from scratch teaches us a sense of responsibility. This keeps us away from bad habits in life.
- Don’t escape, write: Writing is a fading art form, but when time runs slow, the words can rescue you. Write with a pen and paper. Pen down your childhood dreams, your long-lost ambitions, the personality traits you always wanted, and how you picture your future to be. When you write down your ambitions, aspirations, and dreams, you, for once, don’t escape it but face it and attract it.
- Find Happiness in little things: One thing that is destroying the ability to smile in youngsters is their failure to find happiness in little things. People are bored because they can’t cherish small things. However, ambition can be damaging and toxic if you can’t celebrate little milestones. Sit back, relax and dance without music, sing, solve sudoku and crosswords and pamper yourself after you do it successfully. Little happiness keeps you going.
Now You Know