This is a beautiful recipe that I have been cooking for years. Broccoli is my go-to green for protein, and sausage is an American dream that I would never avoid in my life.
I try to reduce the fat by using low-fat sausages and cheeses whenever I prepare my broccoli sausages. It is pretty good with spicy sausage. I haven’t seen any recipe quite like it and hope you will give it a try and let us at NYK Daily know what you think.
Our dish today serves great with a bright green salad and perhaps a glass of red wine as well. Is that what I call a fusion of the American Dream and European Wonder? I guess so.
Broccoli Sausage Pie Recipe
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup of broccoli, diced, cooked
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 lb hot sausage, sauteed, crumbled, and properly drained
- 2 cup of skim milk
- sesame seeds
- 3/4 cup of grated Gruyere or other cheese to your taste
- Salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Next, stir in some flour.
- Cook roux (table sauce) over low heat until lightly browned and thick, about four minutes.
- Off heat, add milk slowly, properly whisking.
- Return to heat and stir until thickened, stirring or whisking constantly.
- Add cheese, parsley, sal,t, and pepper to taste.
- Heat until cheese melts.
- Off heat, add broccoli and sausage, and mix well. Let cool.
- Split the dough into two pieces. Roll 1/2 into 8 or 9″, depending on the size of your pie pan.
- Place in dish. Fill with broccoli mixture.
- Top with remaining rolled-out crust. Cut several slits in the top. Brush with milk, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in preheated 350 for forty minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a rack and let cool at least twenty minutes before serving.
The above recipe serves four.