A taco is a traditional Mexican dish consisting of wheat tortilla or small hand-sized corn topped with a delicious filling. The tortilla is later folded around the filling, and yes, you can eat it by hand; no one will judge you. You can make a taco with various fillings, including pork, beef, seafood, chicken, vegetables, beans, and cheese, allowing for great variety and versatility. They are often decked with different condiments, such as guacamole, salsa, sour cream, and vegetables, such as onion, lettuce, chiles, and tomatoes. Tacos are a common form of Mexican street food or antojitos, which have spread globally.
One last thing you need to know about taco before I start my today’s recipe is: tacos go best with taco seasonings and taco sauce.
The base of taco seasoning is a mix of chili powder, paprika, garlic, cumin and onion powders, sugar, oregano, table salt, and other ingredients.
By the way, do you know you can make your own taco seasoning mix in your own kitchen? Sure there are fancy taco seasoning mixes available at the grocery store, but home-cooked seasonings are healthy, right?. Why should you pay for costly seasoning mixes when it is very likely that your pantry has everything you need inside of it right now to make a tasty taco seasoning mix.
Here is my recipe for making homemade taco seasoning mix.
Taco seasoning mix recipe
- Six tsp chilli powder
- Half tsp of cumin
- Half tsp of onion powder.
- Half tsp of cayenne pepper.
- 5 tsp of paprika
- half tsp of garlic powder.
- Properly put all ingredients together in a large bowl, and mix well. This can be stored in an airtight container for up to four months.
- You can modify this recipe. Sometimes I like to add a few teaspoons of oregano to my mix. Ancho pepper and smoked chipotle peppers are also lovely additions, as they will create distinctive flavors.
- One of the best things about making your own spice blend is that you get to modify and change the recipe for your personal tastes. If you love spicy food, you can add more extra cayenne pepper. If you don’t like it so spicy, you can keep the cayenne pepper out of the dish.
How to use the Taco Seasoning Mix?
Use three tablespoons and a cup of water once you have browned one pound of chicken, seafood, pork, or ground beef to use the Mexican Taco seasoning mix. Add the seasoning mix and water, and allow the water to reduce by 1/2 and you have some tacos that have been perfectly seasoned, and you did it all yourself without having to purchase a commercial mix.