Many Chinese dishes can be vibrant and filling- think of sticky barbeque flavored spare ribs or duck in hoi sin sauce. However, you can get that authentic Chinese stir-fried flavor into less rich foods and even vegetables, which gives you a delicious and not-so-unhealthy meal.
This recipe makes a deliciously spiced vegetarian stir fry, which can be eaten as a base for other Chinese dishes or by itself. It uses carrots, bean sprouts, and spring onions along with lots of traditional Asian seasonings to give you a great-tasting meal or snack.
Vegetable Stir Fry Recipe – serves four people
Ingredients for the Vegetable Stir Fry
- 1 large carrot
- 150 g of bean sprouts (washed)
- 3 spring onions
- 1 Tbsp. of vegetable oil (peanut, palm or olive oil will also work just fine)
- 1 Tbsp. of soy sauce
- 1 tsp. of finely chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp. of oyster sauce
- A couple of drops of sesame oil
Procedure for Preparing the vegetables
- Firstly, wash all of the vegetables. Properly peel the carrot and give it a freshwater rinse along with the fresh spring onions. Please put all of the bean sprouts in a clean colander, give them a wash in cold, clean water and then allow them to drain, or dry them in a salad dryer properly.
- The clean and washed carrot needs to be cut into matchstick-sized neat strips. The fastest way to do this is to use a mandoline, as they usually have an option to allow you to cut match stick shapes out of veggies.
- Next, you need to boil the carrot sticks in water for a minute
- Cut the spring onions in two, separating the lower and the leaf. Cut the lower part into neat bite-size chunks, and properly chop the leaves up as well, keeping both of them separate.
- Next, add finely chop half a teaspoon of garlic to chopped spring onions.
- Put a wok on low-medium heat and once it has adequately heated up, pour in the olive/palm oil, swirling it around so that the inner surface of the wok is coated in oil.
- Once the wok is hot, stir fry the spring onion leaves and the garlic for around 90 seconds. Then mix the bean sprouts, the carrot match sticks, and the spring onion’s white part and stir fry for two minutes.
- To add flavoring, pour in the oyster and soy sauce, and give it a perfect stir so that the flavors are spread evenly throughout the dish. After doing this, please turn off the heat and add a couple of drops of nice sesame oil, give it a last stir, and your vegetable stir fry is ready to serve hot.