A few of my friends are vegetarian, and we make this soup whenever we meet them as a substitute for chicken soup for dinner. This soup is healthful and delicious, and it warms a winter get-together. It is an adaptation of the famous Jerusalem chicken soup with a vegetarian twist.
Vegetarian Jerusalem Soup Recipe
- 4 specks of allspice
- 4 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp marjoram
- Vegetarian broth cube
- 3/4th Cup of rice.
- 1 tsp parsley
- Dry Peas
- Cooking Pan
- Boil water in a kettle (if you don’t have a kettle, you can use the stove. Just ensure you are boiling it slowly.
- In a clean cooking pan on medium heat, use a couple of cups (about 700 ml) of boiling water, a bit of cinnamon stick, a few specks of allspice, a quarter teaspoon each of marjoram, thyme, and sage, one vegetarian broth cube, and 3/4th cup of rice.
- Technically, this is pudding rice, the large sort. However, any rice will do, but please dodge the pre-cooked rice, as you want it to be thickening for the soup. If you do not have rice, a lovely pearl barley will do.
- Add some dried peas as well – about half the rice volume is split peas.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- If you prepare your own fresh broth, that is excellent, even better. Use this instead of broth cube and water. If you are a vegetarian, you probably are a sensitive and caring person. Make sure you use organic broth cubes without fail and read the label – beware additives like colorants and MSG. There is too much debate about these for us to be complacent, putting them into our stomachs.
- Time to raise the heat while stirring till the mix boils. Reduce heat and simmer for about an hour or until the rice kernels are open, a bit like a popped bit of corn. If the blend is too runny, let some more water evaporate.
- Then sprinkle parsley all over the cover and mix it into the soup.
- The soup is now prepared. Shave fresh nutmeg onto it, or place in bowls and then or sprinkle nutmeg (shave nutmeg) onto the exterior.
- Give each hungry friend half to a whole fresh lemon to squeeze onto this delicious soup. A healthy substitute for lemon is lime.
- The soup is not complete without the lemon, so make sure you put it.
Now, sit together with loved ones and enjoy!