At a dinner meeting in New Jersey in late 2008, I was at a very fashionable (and expensive, I might add) Italian restaurant. I ordered this ravioli dish and praised it so much; the generous owner came out and happily gave me the recipe. I am sorry I don’t remember her name or the restaurant’s name. I kept the recipe and have added to it over the years.
Here is a homemade Chicken and Spinach Ravioli with Chicken Broth Recipe for you
Ingredients (6 Servings)
- 1.5 Pound of chicken
- 2 large onions properly washed and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, washed and grated
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup of white dry wine
- 1 10.5 oz homemade chicken broth (Recipe Below)
- 5 ounces parmesan cheese, properly grated
- 2 eggs
- 3 ounces spinach chopped finely
Ingredients for Homemade Chicken Broth
- Carrots (four medium-sized)
- 4 Celery
- One Large Onion chopped
- five small cloves of garlic
- flat-leaf parsley
- black peppercorns
- 1/2 pound washed chicken
Procedure for Chicken Broth
- Start by putting a washed, 1/2 pound organic chicken into a large, 8-quart pot.
- Add 3 quarts of cold water and boil the chicken in high heat
- Add Celery, Onions, Carrots, and Garlic.
- Add parsley and thyme.
- Keep the lid closed for 5 mins at high heat, and then let the heat escape.
- Keep the pot at low heat for a couple of hours to simmer throughout.
- Chicken Broth is ready.
Procedure for Chicken and Spinach Ravioli
- Cut 60 slices of pasta into 4 x 4-inch squares – should make about 30 portions of ravioli (you can buy the wonton pasta and use it if you don’t want fresh pasta but I really recommend making the pasta – I have never liked the wanton pasta taste)
- Grind the chicken, garlic, and onion together. If you do not have a meat grinder, you can have your butcher grind the chicken and add the onion and garlic to it in the pan when cooking.
- Fry in butter on medium-high until the contents are dry.
- Add the pepper, salt, and wine and continue to saute until it gets dry.
- Add the chicken broth and saute until the liquid has completely evaporated.
- Put the pan in the refrigerator until the contents are at room temperature. Once the contents have cooled, add the eggs, parmesan, and spinach and mix.
- Take a pasta square and coat the outer edges with egg white using a cleanbrush.
- Place the chicken filling on the pasta and cover with another layer of pasta and cover the edges.
- Continue the process until all of the chicken mixture is used.
- Boil the ravioli in several quarts of salted water for about 8 minutes.
- Serve hot.