In rural Japan, the fish stew is a trendy dish. It is popular all year round but is more prevalent during winter. Lots of Japanese stew recipes need ingredients that are only accessible in Japan. However, all ingredients in the recipe below are omnipresent, and you can cook wherever you are.
The preparation is also effortless, and you can also prepare this outdoors and enjoy it with your family.
Japanese Fish Stew Recipe
- 1 Saltwater fish
- 6 Tofu blocks
- 1 cut Radish
- 2 cut Carrots
- 1 cup of Onions
- 1 cup of fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup of Chives
- 1 Cabbage
- 1 cup of Turnip leaves
- 1 cup of cut Spinach
- 2 Lemons
- 1 bowl of fish broths
- Salt and fresh ground pepper for taste
- 2 cups of Soy sauce
- 2 cups of water
- Properly remove the internal organs of the chosen salt water fish. Remove fish scales by using a fish scaler tool or the back of a knife.
- Wash and chop fish into larger chunks.
- Cut tofu into squares, cut the cabbage in strips, peel radish, cut in circles, quarter the onions and carrots, and cut the leafy vegetables.
- Decoratively order the ingredients on a tray and bring it to the serving table.
- Prepare fish broth by adding it to warm water. When done, put the broths in a bowl and bring it to the serving table.
- Bring your cooking stove to the table. You can also use a big pot or a big casserole for cooking the ingredients.
- Put water in the pot and add broth. Add fish and go on cooking for 12 minutes. Add other ingredients and continue stirring. You can also add lemon slices and soy sauce.
It is very decorative to let the fish’s head and tail point slightly out of the pot edges.
- 3 Tbsp. Turnip
- Squeezed lemon Juice
Mix them well, and the sauce will be ready. The sauces are served in different bowls so that each hungry guest can dip as they please.
This exquisite Japanese fish stew dish is perfect for eating with your friends, particularly in winter.