This is the part 11 of fight in the wild series. The 8th part was a mysterious battle between Black Panther and Cheetah, and the 9th part saw a one way battle between Fox and Wolf. Part 10 was a fierce battle between Goliath Tigerfish Vs Nile Crocodile.
The 6th part was a battle of the mighty Elephant and Rhino. Part 5 was a wild, wild fight between Western Lowland Gorilla Vs Grizzly Bear. The first part involved a fighting Cheetah Vs African Lion whereas in the second part, we Spotted Hyena wrestled Grey Wolf. The third part was king of a stalemate between Hippopotamus and Bull Shark.
Ostrich Vs. Hyena
Ostriches are giant, flightless birds with a long neck and long legs. Males have a bold black-and-white shade that they use to entice females. Females, on the other hand, are a rich brown. Here are a few facts about it:
- Ostriches are bigger than any other bird known. They can grow up to 2.7 meters (9 feet) tall and weigh up to 145 kilograms (320 lbs). An ostrich’s eyes are 5 centimeters (2 inches) in diameter — the largest of any animal on land. The ostrich is the only bird which has a couple of toes on each foot. They can run up to 64.3 km/h (40 mph) for sustained periods.
- Wild ostriches live in the hot, dry savannas and African woodlands. They once roamed all over Africa, Asia and, the middle east, but because they have been hunted so primarily, wild ostriches’ range has been sadly reduced to sub-Saharan Africa.
- Ostriches are regular omnivores, which means they eat both meat and plants. Although they prefer soft plants — especially seeds, roots, and leaves — they also eat lizards, locusts, rodents, and snakes. Ostriches don’t drink water; they get all the h2O they need from the plants they consume.
- Ostriches fight with their giant feet. They kick forward because that’s how their legs bend.
Hyenas are feliform carnivoran mammals. It is the fifth-smallest biological family in the Carnivora and one of the most petite in Mammalia, with only four extant species. Despite their low diversity, hyenas are vital and unique components of most African ecosystems. Here are a few facts about it:
- Though many people link hyenas to dogs, they are much more like cats. The spotted hyena is the largest of it’s kind, and it grows to 1.2 to 1.8 meters (4 to 5.9 feet ) long and 77 to 81 centimeters (2.5 to 2.6 feet) tall from shoulder to paw. They weigh 40 to 86 kg (88 to 190 lbs).
- Where hyenas live depends on their kind. Brown hyenas have a minimal range and live only in the Southern range of Africa, including the Namib and Kalahari deserts. They are usually found between the Orange River and the Angola-Namibia border in South Africa. Spotted hyenas have a little more comprehensive range and live at the Sahara Desert’s southern tip. They occur throughout sub-Saharan Africa and are the most diverse large predators in the Serengeti. Hyenas are exceptionally social and live in groups called clans. Clans can have up to 70 members.
- Hyenas are carnivores, which means they only consume meat. They are known to benefit from other animals’ kills for leisurely meals, but they aren’t just freeloaders. They also hunt and pack their diet with wildebeest, hippos, foxes, antelope, jackals, birds, fish, lizards, snakes, eggs, insects, and porcupines. They hide extra food in watering holes since nothing is wasted. Hyenas will consume every part of their hunt, including hooves and bone.
Let the battle begin:
Hyenas attack in a clan, and even a single lion cannot fight them in an open fight. As a clan, Hyenas are considered to be apex predators, which can even take down a Hippopotenous when hungry. However, our match today is between a Single Hyena and an Ostrich.
Hyena will initiate the fight between hyena and ostrich, possibly to steal ostrich’s egg. Ostrich, when frightened, can reach a speed of 45 miles (72.5 kilometers) per hour. If cornered, or if her eggs are threatened, it can accouche dangerous kicks that can even take down a lion. A threatened Mother Ostrich with her powerful kick will take down a single Hyena if the kick lands perfectly. However, hyena will still inflict considerable damage through its’ powerful jaws. I am leaning towards ostrich’s victory against hyena in this fight in the wild.