Many years ago, when I was 11, my mom and I started a holiday culture. About ten to fourteen days before Christmas, we would spend a Sunday baking gingerbread seasoned holiday gifts.
When it comes to holiday baking, it would feel incomplete without making some adorable gingerbread men cookies. The following recipe is relatively easy, although it’s not quick since you will be hand-making your dough, rolling it out, and cutting out your cookie patterns.
Gingerbread Men Cookies Recipe
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt for taste
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
Kitchen Supplies Needed
- Electric Mixture
- Zipper Plastic Bag
- Gingerbread men cookie cutter
- Baking Sheets
- Airtight cookie canister
- In a bowl, mix 3/4 cup butter, brown sugar, molasses, and egg using an electric mixer, preferably on medium speed. Beat until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Add in the all-purpose flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, one teaspoon vanilla extract, salt, baking powder, and then the baking soda. Beat mixture at low speed with an electric mixture until all ingredients are well blended. Place mixture in a large zipper close plastic bag and place it into the refrigerator for four hours.
- Preheat oven to 360F. Line two baking sheets with a nonstick baking mat or gently grease them. Split cookie dough into three equal sections.
- Roll out the dough on a gently floured dough board until it measures approximately 1/4″ thick.
- Pick a gingerbread men cookie cutter and chop out your patterns.
- Put shapes onto your baking sheets and bake in the oven for eight minutes or until done. Remove from the oven and let it rest.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix the powdered sugar, milk, remaining butter, and two teaspoons of vanilla extract.
- Use an electric mixer and beat until the mixture is fluffy and creamy.
- If you want, you can add food color to the frosting.
- Enrich your thoroughly cooled cookies with frosting and set aside to air-dry.
Save your cookies in a tight cookie canister. These cookies will stay for around twenty-one days.