This recipe makes a large pot of a creamy and tasty potato soup that is immensely satisfying on a cold winter evening. It is a nutritious treat for the entire family.
- 7 large red potatoes
- 4 quarts whole milk
- 2 clove of garlic
- 4 green onions
- 3 packs of bacon
- 1-quart whipping cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- A 6-quart soup pot
- Large spoon
- Wash and cut the potatoes, leaving the skin intact. Keep the washed potatoes in the pot and pour milk over them, ensuring that the mixture fills about 3/4 of the pot. Add more milk if required.
- Warm the milk on low heat for about 10 minutes, occasionally stirring, so the milk doesn’t burn.
- Skin and crush the garlic and mix it to the pot.
- Cut the green onions into fine pieces and put them to the pot.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high. Stir regularly.
- Put the bacon in a skillet. Cook the bacon at medium heat, turning each slice to ensure that both sides are adequately cooked.
- When the bacon is firm, please remove it from the skillet and keep each slice on a paper towel or bacon rack to allow the bacon fat to drain. Pat smoothly with a paper towel to extract the bacon grease from the top of the bacon. When the bacon is dry, crush it in small bits and mix them to the pot.
- Add the whipping cream and mix. Add pepper and then salt to taste. Cook on medium about thirty minutes. In regular intervals, poke a piece of potato with a fork until they are soft (tender).
When chopping up your potatoes, cut them long ways in parts the width of a large French fry, then dice the fries up. Ensure that the potatoes fill about a third of the pot. If you want additional potatoes, you will need to put lesser milk. Regular bacon is most suitable for potato soup. However, if you love the soup sweet, you can use a honey-flavored or maple bacon. You can also replace diced ham if you don’t care for bacon. Try to duck fatty bacon. A pinch of red pepper or paprika will give the soup some extra zest. If you like cheesy potato soup, add a cup of your favorite grated cheese when you add the cream. Ensure that the potato soup doesn’t come to a complete boil.
Serve the soup with side bowls of crumbled bacon, fresh chopped chives, and grated cheese.