15th July was my father’s birthday and this recipe is dedicated to my father – papa was my best friend. I was born very late to my parents but the age gap never mattered. My father was uber-cool, understanding and was always up to play along with me.
I lost my father 20 years ago and not one day has passed when I have not remembered something he said or something he believed in. I consider myself to be very similar to him in many ways – a daddy’s girl all the way.
My father spent most of his life in the United Kingdom, making him very British in most of his ways. He absolutely loved British & continental food.
As an ode and remembrance to him today, I have recreated one of his favourite desserts, Bread Butter Pudding.
- Old Bread slices 5
- Milk 400ml
- Eggs 2
- Vanilla essence 2drops
- Condensed milk 3Tbsp Or Sugar 4Tbsp
- Butter 3Tbsp
- Chocolate bar 70g
- Jam 1&1/2Tbsp
- Cinnamon powder 1/2tsp
- Butter the bread generously and then chop into squares and fill the baking dish.
- Spread chocolate chunks in between the bread.
- Whisk together milk, condensed milk (or sugar), vanilla essence, cinnamon powder & eggs. Pour this mixture evenly over the bread pieces. Dot with jam.
- Let it soak for 30mins.
- Preheat oven to 180degC for 15mins and then bake this for 30-40mins or till nicely brown.
- Let it rest for 15mins before serving.
For more recipes follow me on Instagram at @meghiliciousbyMnM.