Many people decide to take their car overseas or rent one to be able to explore the whole place. Other travelers choose to have a road trip kind of vacation where they tour different sites of a particular country. Choosing to drive while abroad has become much easier and cheaper for other people, however, it can’t save them from the risk of having car accidents.
An accident is never convenient, and foreign disasters present a unique set of problems. Liability can be more critical in other countries, and a car accident can be devastating if the insurance will not cover it. If you had a car accident while travelling to the beautiful city of Buffalo, you can get help from buffalo car accident attorneys for immediate legal intervention on your claims and for you to know more about your rights and necessary settlements.
Prepare for safe driving in a distant land
The driver’s unfamiliarity of the car, place, and signs, becomes a significant contributor to car accidents abroad. So before leaving to another country, it is necessary to prepare everything ahead of time. Here are few things to keep in mind:
- Get an International Driver’s Permit, but always bring the U.S. license too.
- Know the local numbers of the country to contact the police in case of emergency.
- Research the driving laws of the place through the Internet, or friends.
- Research the automobile insurance options and have the right coverage.
Things to do during a car crash abroad
When being faced with a car accident abroad, it is necessary to understand that the availability and training of emergency responders might just be below the typical U.S. standards, which means waiting for help for a long time.
Some rules during the accident apply similarly in a foreign country.
- It is crucial to contact the local authorities right away. Try to ask help from a person who knows your language.
- If anyone is injured, ask for emergency medical assistance.
- Take down important information:
- The other party’s name and contact details.
- The name and contact information of their insurance company.
- The country it is registered in.
- The car’s registration number.
- The car’s manufacturer and its model.
- The date and location of the accident.
- A brief explanation of what happened.
- The names and contact details of any witnesses.
- Contact the insurance provider for the travel insurance or rental insurance as soon as possible. Depending on the coverage, they might be of help with getting through to the authorities, especially in sending emergency medical support.
- In some regions, don’t forget to get a copy of the statement that needs to be filled out and signed.
It is important to file a car accident claim or personal injury claim as soon as possible if someone has been injured in a road accident abroad, and just to get the right compensation for the trouble.
Some people travel outside the country for business or pleasure. No matter where they are, any time they’re behind the wheel, they’re always at risk of an auto crash. If someone is involved in a road accident abroad, there might be additional difficulties and complications to handle. That is why it is necessary to prepare everything and know the things that should be done during the accident.
Chris O’Brien has been handling personal injury cases in Western New York for more than 30 years. He enjoys a national reputation as not only a trial lawyer but also an educator of other trial lawyers. At the same time that he has recovered 20 million or multi-million dollar settlements on behalf of his clients, Chris has also taught trial skills in 21 states, districts, and territories as well as 2 provinces in Canada. He currently serves as the Co-Chair of the National College of Advocacy, has been a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum for 20 years, and has been named as one of Western New York’s Top Ten Lawyers by Buffalo Business First.