No one can resist a yummy pie. While apple pie ranks as my top favorite, chicken pie comes at a close second.
Chicken and mushroom pie is a well-known British pie, ranked as one of the most popular types of savory pie in Great Britain.
Authentic Chicken and Mushroom Pie Recipe
- One whole chicken
- olive oil
- salt for taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 100ml/ chicken stock
- 100ml/ Madeira
- 25g butter
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 shallot
- 3 small carrots
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 celery stick
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 100g mixed mushrooms, chopped (clean it first)
- 150ml white wine (dry)
- 100ml cream
- Four large flat mushrooms (without stalks)
- 225g ready-made puff pastry
- One free-range egg (beaten)
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- With a knife, cut off the wings and legs from the chicken and keep it aside. Carefully trim the breasts (oh). Sprinkle the breasts with a little olive oil and spray some pepper and salt. Wrap the chicken breasts in plastic wrap and keep it aside
- Arrange your chicken legs on a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil while adding pepper and salt for taste. Roast the legs for 45 minutes, or until they are golden and cooked through (poke the thickest end of the leg with a fork to check if the juices run free). Season the chicken as often as needed while cooking.
- Unwrap the chicken breasts from the plastic film. Boil the breasts for twenty-five minutes in a pan of simmering water. Shred the meat inside a bowl and keep it aside.
- Let your chicken stock and Madeira simmer in a small pan for a twelve minutes before adding the chicken wings. Cook the wings for thirty minutes, or until it is cooked properly. Set the wings aside. Don’t throw your cooking stock yet.
- Cook the sauce by heating 1 tbsp of veg oil and butter in a pan. Gently fry the celery, carrots, shallot, and leek for five minutes, or until the veggies begin to soften. Add the mushroom and garlic together with your remaining oil and fry for another five minutes. Pour in the wine and simmer until most of the juice has evaporated. Stir in cream. Put in your shredded chicken leg meat.
- Place your flat mushrooms over a baking sheet and pour the mushroom sauce on top.
- Roll the pastry on a floured base. Using a pastry cutter, stamp out circles in identical sizes as the flat mushrooms that you have ordered on your baking sheet. Put the pastry on a different baking sheet. Prick the surface with a skewer or fork. Cover the pastry with the beaten egg. Bake this together with the filled mushrooms for ten minutes, or until golden brown.
- To serve, slice the chicken breast into thick wedges with a knife. Remove all the bones from the wings. Put the mushrooms on your serving plate. Add your pastry circle on top and at a 30-degree angle. Keep wing meats and chicken breast alongside. Reheat the reserve chicken stock, and spray over the plate. Garnish the pie with fresh thyme.
Serve with fries.