As you probably already know, Focaccia is a flat oven-baked Italian bread related to pizza dough. Focaccia can be used as a side to many snacks or as lunch bread. But authentic Italian Focaccia is somewhat different.
The following ingredients are needed to prepare homemade Focaccia.
- 500 grams of plain flour,
- 250 milliliters of warm water,
- 1 TSP of salt
- one sachet of yeast,
- 1 TSP sugar.
- Sunflower Oil
- Start by filtering the flour and making a hole in the center using your hands. Add the sugar, salt, and yeast and then add 250 ml of warm water. The warm water enables the yeast to react, thus developing a classic pizza dough.
- Time to use your hands to blend all the ingredients quickly. This is done so that the stubborn yeast does not react with water. Once the dough has been mixed and rounded and is now a uniform looking ball, leave it to rise for a couple of hours or until the mixture is soft enough to mold in an oven tray.
- Clean the bottom of the tray with a large amount of oil (we suggest sunflower oil). The sunflower will provide the Focaccia with a remarkable taste and stop it from sticking to the plate when baking.
- Now separate the dough in a single rectangular tray. This bread will be very thick and will need about twenty minutes to cook correctly. A regular pizza would take 12 minutes for the base and an extra 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Before placing the tray into the oven, use your fingers to create short, shallow indentations. You can put salt and rosemary on the exterior as well as some more of the sunflower oil.
- While waiting for the Focaccia bread to bake, made any ingredients that you would like to put in the heart of the still-hot bread. Many people choose slices of the deli meats, cheese, or tapenade, for a simple yet delicious snack.
To melt the cheese, make sure that you cut the Focaccia piece in half and promptly add the slices of cheese. With the blend of salt, rosemary, sunflower oil, and cheese, you will have a sandwich worthy of being the feast of the day at a restaurant.