When one assumes the obligations and duties of active leadership, he must realize and recognize that there will be various tests of his ability to lead. Eventually, any leader’s measure often revolves around how he handles these provocations and proceeds to make a real difference for the better. Whether his staff questions him based on his constituents, his financials, fiscal situations or perhaps by how he makes his group more relevant and sustainable, he must be prepared to pass these tests with flying colors.
Therefore, this article will briefly examine and discuss some of the attributes/assets/necessities one must acquire and possess.
- Pacesetter: If all you want to do is the same old and perhaps, a clone of the former officeholder, you shouldn’t attempt the responsibilities of leading! Excellent leaders must know the heritage, history and mission of his organization and respect them while being willing to be a trendsetter, and doing all he can to be a consistent and sustainable leader. How might one be as natural and spontaneous as he should be?
- Empathy: Devote yourself to efficient listening, and pay attention to those you serve by being more willing to listen than to speak. When you do so, you will be hopeful of proceeding with the utmost degree of genuine empathy, which makes constituents more willing to commit and follow. Discover where most emphasis should be placed, and do so! Never settle for good enough but, instead, demand the utmost degree of personal excellence. Refuse to give up, or give in to the stresses.
- Service: Will you maintain providing relevant service and solving challenges rather than giving into them or complaining and blaming? A true leader focuses on the best ways to encourage those around him and his co-workers.
- Timely: Authentic leaders don’t have the luxury of procrastinating. Leaders must realize how vital well-considered timely action is.
- Sustainable systems: The measure of leadership must be based on and focused upon understanding and conceiving of developing and implementing the best possible sustainable system.
If one adopts these steps, he becomes more proficient in effectively leading, and by doing so, he passes a leader’s tests!
Will you commit to doing what’s needed?