Argentina on Thursday said it is extending COVID-19 treatment and isolation measures to those who have lived with a confirmed patient and showed two or more symptoms of the disease before test results are reported.
The goal is to tackle new cases and better contain the spread of the novel coronavirus, the country’s ministry of health said in a statement.
Prior to the decision, health authorities focused only on those whose diagnosis was confirmed by test results, Alejandro Costa, undersecretary of health strategies, told reporters at a news conference.
The new strategy targets probable cases in areas with community transmission presenting two or more symptoms, such as fever, cough, sore throat, breathing difficulties, or vomiting.
Argentina has reported over 220,000 COVID-19 cases and more than 4,000 deaths from the disease so far.