Foil cooking allows you to cook delicious meals in your coal bound campfire and have nothing to clean when the feast is over. Below are five of my favorite foil wrap recipes. But first, let’s go over the basics of tin foil cooking:
- This is a fundamental tip. Don’t forget to use heavy-duty foil, so you don’t overcook the food, and the packet doesn’t rip. Your food will burn in thin foils, and you’ll be left hungry.
- Use the assembly-line method, not one foil packet at a time.
- Put butter in the package so your food won’t stick.
- Sprinkle seasonings liberally. It makes others believe you are a pro at this.
- Double-seal by doubling twice to hold the moisture.
- When you fold, keep some room for air to allow heat circulation inside.
- Don’t cook foil packs over roaring fire. White-hot coal is better.
- For the first night, fix the foil packets while you are home. When you get to camp, roll them on the coals to avoid wasting time.
Cooking Time: around 25 minutes each- turn every five minutes
Recipe 1 Ingredients: Ham & Sweet Potato
- One slab of pre-cooked ham (fresh)
- 1 serving bottled yams (about three pieces)
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 canned pineapple rings
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
Recipe 2 Ingredients: Chicken Potato Packets
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 1 jar (12 oz.) chicken gravy
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Recipe 3 Ingredients: Baby back pork ribs
- 3 pounds baby back pork ribs
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup of water
- 1 cup of barbecue sauce
Recipe 4 Ingredients: Tuscan Sword Fish
- One can of Cannellini beans, or Great Northern, rinsed, drained
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 2 swordfish steaks
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 lemon slices
Recipe 5 Ingredients: Cranberry-Apple Sweet Potatoes
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 Golden Delicious or Granny Smith apples, cored, thinly sliced in rings
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Method for all
- In a large pot, toss together the main dish (fish/sweet potatoes/pork ribs/chicken/ham) with the corresponding ingredients — season with pepper and salt.
- Lay out four pieces of foil. Divide the mixed dish between foil.
- Heat in white-coal for about 25 minutes- toss after every five minutes.
- Open the foil delicately to dodge a round of hot steam.