Haven’t we all craved for an easy-to-make savoury (or Chatpata as Indians call it) snack while binge watching a show or a movie? Straight out my grandmother’s cookbook (yes, they used to maintain an old diary with recipes) is this Chatpata Mixture that can put an end to those cravings.
Preparation needed – Soak the chana dal in water overnight or for 8 hours. Drain the water and leave it for drying on a napkin or cloth for 5 minutes.
Time to make: 5-10 minutes
- ¾ litre cooking oil
- 125 gms chana dal (split and polished chickpeas)
- 125 gms corn flakes
- 125 gms groundnuts or peanuts
- ½ tsp cumin
- 8 dried red chillies
- 20 curry leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder
- Deep fry the chana dal, corn flakes and groundnuts (or peanuts) one after the other in cooking oil while transferring it to a huge bowl.
- Now add salt, sugar, chaat masala, red chilli powder and turmeric powder to it.
- The quantity of salt and red chilli powder added can be increased depending on one’s tastes.
- Next, for the seasoning, take a small pan for tempering, with little amount of oil and heat it.
- Add jeera, red chillies and curry leaves to it.
- Switch off the flame and add crushed garlic to it.
- Lastly, add the seasoning to the bowl of fried ingredients and relish the mixture.
You can also extend the procedure further by making Corn Flakes Bhel (Bhel is puffed rice). Simply add some finely chopped onions, coriander, green chillies and salt as per taste and desired tanginess.