(Serves 1 Loaf)
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil/extra-virgin olive oil/vegetable oil
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 large bananas)
- ¼ cup milk (can use vegan milk options or water too)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract/essence
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon, plus more for garnishing
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- Optional: ½ cup add-ons like chopped walnuts/pecans/chocolate chips/raisins
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees Celsius
- Grease a loaf pan (9 x 5 inch preferably) with melted butter.
- In a large bowl, mix oil and honey together.
- Add the eggs to it and beat well, with a whisk.
- Now put mashed bananas and milk into the bowl. Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature and not straight out of the fridge.
- Add the baking soda, vanilla essence, salt and cinnamon to the bowl – whisk blend.
- Lastly, stir in the flour, just until combined. Some lumps are alright and don’t make the mix too liquid-y in consistency. (To measure the quantity of flour to be added, it’s advisable to pour it with a spoon into the measuring cup, rather than scooping it in all at once, and then smoothening it out with a knife.)
- If you’re adding any add-ons, sprinkle some into the batter now.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and sprinkle very little cinnamon on top, if you’re a fan.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let the bread cool for 10 minutes on the rack after you stop baking.
- Slice the banana bread and serve hot or cold with a cup of tea!