For Marinating the Cottage Cheese:
- 200 to 250 grams cottage cheese – cubed
- 2 tbsp corn starch (also known as corn flour)
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp oil (preferably toasted sesame oil)
- salt to taste
- 1 medium sized onion – diced
- 1 small sized capsicum (green bell pepper) – cubed
- ½ tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 7 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 3-4 green chillies, sliced vertically
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp green chilli sauce
- 1 tsp sweet red chilli sauce
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed black pepper or black pepper powder
- ¼ – ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp chopped spring onions (optional)
- 2 tablespoon water – to be added in the leftover corn starch
- salt to taste
- Pat dry 200 to 250 grams cottage cheese. Then slice it in cubes or rectangles. Keep aside in a mixing bowl.
- Then peel and mince ginger and garlic cloves.
- Slice 3 to 4 green chillies vertically. Cut the onion in cubes.
- Cut the capsicum in squares. Remove its seeds and the white part. Keep the chopped veggies aside.
- To the cottage cheese cubes, add 2 tbsp corn starch, ¼ tsp red chilli powder, ¼ tsp black pepper powder and salt.
- Gently mix without the breaking the cubes. Or else you can shake the bowl and toss the cottage cheese with the dry ingredients.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non stick pan or a well seasoned pan. When the oil is medium hot, place the cottage cheese cubes in the pan.
- When the base is slightly cooked, flip over and fry them. Turn the cottage cheese cubes gently and fry so that they are uniformly golden. You can even deep fry the cottage cheese cubes if you want.
- Fry them till golden and crisp. Do not fry for a long time as they can harden.
- Place the pan fried cottage cheese cubes in a plate. Keep aside.
- Whilst the cottage cheese cubes are getting fried, in the same bowl, in which we marinated the cottage cheese cubes, there would be some leftover corn starch and spices. Add 2 tbsp water to the bowl and mix well. This corn starch paste will be used later.
- In another small bowl, add 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp green chilli sauce, 1 tsp sweet red chilli sauce, ¼ tsp red chilli powder and ¼ tsp black pepper. Mix well.
- In a pan, sautee the minced ginger-garlic and green chillies. Stir well.
- Then add the onion and capsicum squares. If using spring onions, add 1 tbsp of chopped spring onions too.
- On medium flame, stir fry till the edges of the onions and capsicum get cooked or turn golden brown.
- Add the mixed sauces.
- Then add a pinch of salt and sugar. Go easy on the salt as the sauces already have salt in them. Stir very well.
- Now add the leftover corn starch paste we made earlier. Continue to stir. Do check the taste at this point and add some soy sauce or chilli sauce or sugar or salt if required.
- Add the pan-fried cottage cheese cubes. Stir and mix the cottage cheese cubes with the rest of the sauce.
- You can garnish street style dry chill cottage cheese with some more spring onions before serving.
- Serve street style dry chilli cottage cheese hot, preferably with a side of noodles or rice.
Let us know in the comments section if you enjoyed making this!