Australian native marsupial, Koala, belongs to the Phascolarctidae Family. Every other species from the Phascolarctidae family is extinct. Koalas live on the trees in the coastal regions of Australia. They primarily eat Eucalyptus leaves but resort to certain others in the time of need. Koalas are peaceful animals, often to the extent that any interaction with humans causes stress to them. They spend most of their time, almost 16 to 18 hours a day, sleeping. This is because their metabolism has an exceptionally low rate, in proportion to the other mammals. The casual observers are often mistaken that these unusually attractive animals are a subspecies of bear due to its appearance.
Steps for drawing koala:
- Begin by drawing a set of parallel curved lines. This will form the tree branch that the koala is clinging to.
- Draw a circle, allowing it to overlap the side of the tree branch. This will form the koala’s head.
- Detail the outline of the head. Sketch furry, jagged lines. Near the top of the head, the lines should pass inside the circle. Near the bottom, they should be located outside the circle, indicating chubby cheeks.
- Erase the guide lines from the head.
- Using a curved line, draw the koala’s arm. Extend the line from the bottom of the head, across the tree, and double it back upon itself.
- Beneath the arm, begin to draw the leg using a “C” shaped line. Beneath this, use another curved line to form the foot. Draw a long, curved line from the foot to the head, enclosing the animal’s body.
- Erase any remaining guide lines.
- Draw the koala’s large, furry ears. Enclose a rounded shape by drawing a “C” shaped line on each side of the head. Enclose another circular shape around the first. Allow the lines to overlap a bit, giving the impression of fur.
- Detail the koala’s face. Draw a large, egg shaped oval to form the nose. On each side of the nose, draw a small circle to form the eyes. In each eye, draw a tiny circle within a circle. Shade between the two circles, indicating the pupil. Use a wide “U” shaped line to form the smiling mouth, and use a short curved line to indicate the chin. Draw a thick curved line above each eye to indicate eyebrows.
- Color your koala. This animal is generally grey in color.