If you don’t know how to stop a stuffy nose, all you need to do is try some of the techniques below and you will surely find some relief.
- Step 1: Keep your head elevated. When you’re in bed, be sure to use more than one pillow so your head is raised. This is done so the mucus doesn’t collect in your sinuses and allows your nose to dry. Standing or walking can also help clear your nose.
- Step 2: Use a hair dryer. Turn on the hair dryer and breathe its hot air. The idea is similar to covering your face with hot towels. The hot air will dilute the mucus. This is similar to being in a sauna without increasing the temperature of your entire body.
- Step 3: Purchase products like Tiger Balm containing high levels of menthol and camphor. Vicks VapoRub can also be used, but Tiger Balm is much better. Rub it gently on the nose area, chest and throat. Tiger Balm can cause the skin to become hot and red, but it’s not dangerous. The steam rising from the menthol and camphor will warm the face and nose so that the respiratory tract becomes more relieved.
- Step 4: Use a Nasal Spray. Spray works very well and will not go into your throat. Sprays can be found easily at grocery stores and drug stores. However, keep in mind that the use of many sprays is only a short term fix, because they are addictive.
- Step 5: Use items that stimulate the olfactory. Squirt some essential oils, like peppermint, eucalyptus or rosemary on a handkerchief and breathe the smell. You can also spread peppermint oil on the part under your nose. The smell may sting but it will help to relieve your stuffy nose.
- Step 6: Use vinegar mixed with hot water. Add vinegar into water, boil and then smell the fumes. Be careful with the sharp smell and stinging.
- Step 7: Cough drops. This is just a reminder. Now days cough drops come in a wide range of flavors, so you’re almost guaranteed to find some that you like.
- Step 8: Massaging the bridge of your nose. Massage the area between your eyebrows and the bridge of your nose. This will help to break up the mucus. Repeat the massage as often as necessary.