Mauritius is a country controlled by regulations especially when it comes to night escapades. Designated night places especially clubs occasioned by tourist have a bit more relaxed regulations, therefore, one can still enjoy his outing. Here are nine things you may not have known about night life in Mauritius. These will help in your decision to spend a Mauritius Holiday with your family and friends.
- Sega nights is a popular local dance place where one can enjoy dancing. Many clubs will treat the tourists to a taste of local dances. Sega is the Mauritian identity dances. The theme is mainly the traditions and the struggle for identity of Mauritians. It is normally mixed with other flavors like local jazz, pop, rock and rhythm artist and other concerts.
- Tipping your attendant is considered a virtue. As you go for your night outings you will find that the people who tip their service providers are accorded much attention.
- A tourist needs to be careful at night. One should avoid visiting isolated places or accepting lifts especially when they are alone. Although the level of criminal activity is fairly low, one is advised not to take chances. It is always wise for people to guard against instances that may lead them to the hands of a criminal at night.
- Tourists need to know about strict dressing code at night. To discourage prostitution tendencies, walking around in hotels in surfer shorts or bathing suits is normally discouraged. Do not expect the locals to act openly towards the tourists. They face serious restrictions and tourists need to be aware of it.
- For those who smoke one has to carry enough cigarettes while clubbing at night. Most night clubs do not sell the stuff. You may get a rude awakening when you decide to have a puff only to be turned back. The clubs which stock them will sell to you at a very expensive price.
- Weekends are full of night actions in clubs like Grand Baie. It is a time when the locals have time to visit and a mixture of folklore converge at the club anyone to enjoy. One can be entertained with a lot of drinking till the wee morning hours the following day. Many of these clubs will offer free entrance and those that charge just charge a few bucks.
- There are other clubs where one can enjoy sports. A club like Patch and Parrot will provide people with an opportunity to either play or watch sports action. There are still some mild dancing that takes place in such clubs to keep everyone entertained.