Stegosaurus is one of the most easily identifiable dinosaur, due to the distinctive double row of kite-shaped plates rising vertically along the rounded back and the two pairs of long spikes extending horizontally near the end of the tail.
Of course, knowing what an animal looks like, and haven seen its picture in books, is not quite the same as knowing about the real animal. So how much do we really know about Stegosaurus? Actually more than you might suppose, especially when you consider the fact Stegosaurus was alive in the mighty Jurassic period between 163.5 and 100.5 million years ago.
Here are some interesting things to know about about Stegosaurus:
- 1. As already mentioned, Stegosaurus lived in the Jurassic period between 163.5 and 100.5 million years ago. Fossils of the animal have been found in North America and Europe.
- 2. An average adult Stegosaurus probably weighed around 6,800 pounds and was about 9 meters long. The largest animals were perhaps 30 feet (10.1 meters) long.
- 3. Stegosaurus was a herbivore (plant-eater). Being so large and mighty, having a vegetarian diet is surprising. Wish humans adapt to the same diet considering what is happening in the world right now.
- 4. Stegosaurus’ had longer back legs than front legs. While the animal could walk on all fours, it probably also stood on its hind legs to eat the foliage on the branches of trees. It looked like Charizard (Pokeman fans can imagine)
- 5. The bony plates on Stegosaurus’ back were probably used for protection, but may also have had a role in temperature regulation. Most scientists believe that the plates were stood vertically and arranged in a zigzag pattern, although some scientists believe the plates were laid flat on the skin.
- 6. There were several species of Stegosaurus. One of the way that the species differed, is by the number of tail spikes.
- 7. The Stegosaurus was designated as the official state fossil on April 28, 1982 by executive order of Governor Richard D. Lamm. The Stegosaurus lived in the area we now know as Colorado one hundred and fifty million years ago during the Mesozoic era in the Jurassic period.
- 8. The name “Stegosaurus” means “roof lizard”. The name ‘Stegosaurus’ comes from the Greek words ‘stegos’ meaning roof and ‘sauros’ meaning lizard.