New Zealand is a smorgasbord of pristine locations, but some spots stand out above all the rest. This is your guide to the top ten locations for camping holidays in New Zealand. Of course, everyone has their own idea of the perfect campsite, but this list provides you with the most popular choices, tried and tested by true lovers of the outdoors. So who makes the list?
1. Camp Waipu Cove, in Northland is a must for beach lovers. It’s expansive and well equipped with communal facilities – ideal for less experienced campers and families.
2. Also making the top ten camping locations in NZ – Hahei Holiday Resort in Whitianga. It has 300 camping spots and is close to picturesque Cathedral Cove and the famous Hot Water Beach.
3. Waihi, like many locations on this list is known for its beaches, but Waihi Motor Camp comes recommended for its beautiful mature forestry and for being handy to the scenic walkways of Karangahake Gorge.
4. Surfing in NZ is synonymous with Raglan and camping holidays in NZ aren’t complete without a visit to Solscape Eco Retreat. If you want to catch a few waves and stay at a campsite that has ecology at its heart, this one’s for you.
5. Dying to see the wondrous Waitomo Caves? Waitomo Top Ten Holiday Park is just a stone’s throw away and has a bar and restaurant on site for campers that love home comforts.
6. A list of the top ten camping spots wouldn’t be complete without a visit to Rotorua. Cosy Cottage International Holiday Park is surrounded by spectacular geothermal wonders. Needless to say, there’s always plenty of hot water in the shared facilities!
7. If camping holidays in NZ mean time on the beach to you, it’s hard to go past Mount Maunganui Beachside Holiday Park. You’re virtually on the beach, but still handy to shops and cafes.
8. Able Tasman National Park is renowned for breath-taking vistas. Canaan Downs camping grounds provides a secluded spot, right in the heart of it. Close to mountain biking and hiking tracks, this one’s for the adventurous at heart.
9. Beside the turquoise waters of Kenepuru Sounds you’ll find Driftwood Cottage. A slice of paradise, this secluded site is perfect for soaking up the beauty of Marlborough Sounds.
10. To round off the selection of top ten camping locations we turn to Queenstown. Less than ten minutes’ drive from the heart of the adventure capital is The Shotover Top Ten Holiday Park – a gateway to some of the most popular tourist attractions in the South Island.
There you have it – the top ten camping sites in New Zealand. Try one on your next camping holiday in NZ.