Learning one or two martial arts is the best way to defend yourself from your assailant. If you know the right moves and the right techniques to use your body to combat your attacker, then, it would be very easy for you to protect yourself and other people, as well. Most people are now taking martial arts lessons to make sure that they can effectively protect themselves from the threats and danger of this world. There are several types of martial arts and it can be difficult for you to choose the right and appropriate kind for you. You should realize that each of them have its own pros and cons, and will fit to different types of people. One way to choose the right type for you is to consider first your lifestyle and the style of defense fighting that you think you will be comfortable to do.
To help you choose, here are some of the popular types of combat arts that can be best for self-defense:
- Jiujutsu is one of the most famous kinds of defense strategy nowadays. Essentially, this involves restraining and grappling techniques. If you are a security guard or a bouncer, or you are into protection and defense jobs, then this might be very appropriate for you. Most of the military soldiers and police officers know and undergo jiujutsu training for their jobs.
- Mixed Martial Arts or MMA is another self-defense training that you can enroll in. As the name implies, it involves the use of several types of martial arts to be able to knock down the opponent. Muay Thai and jiujutsu are two commonly use for MMA. MMA is a combat sport so expect that you will have to intensively fight and attack your opponent.
- Muay Thai, already mentioned in the statement above, is actually more of a sport rather than of a self-defense method. However, it is also possible to apply Muay Thai moves in protecting yourself from an assailant. Learning Muay Thai will also help you maintain good fitness.
- Taekwondo, popular for all the kicking stunts and techniques it teaches, is also an effective training for self-defense. Most experts actually regard it as the best martial art for purposes of self-defense because of the effect it can give to your assailant. A powerful kick can easily knock down your attacker.
- Karate is another one of the great combat technique best applied for a self-defense situation. While in a karate class, you can actually experience several sparring that will let you be in a real fight situation. This will effectively teach you the best moves to do in specific dangerous situations that you might encounter.
These are just some types of martial arts to help you protect yourself when in trouble. Make sure that you are fit and healthy before you enroll in these kinds of classes. Commitment and perseverance is also necessary to be able to learn these kinds of fighting skills successfully.